The Prince of Wales Park is so named from being ceremonially initiated on the very day of the wedding of the Prince of Wales to Alexandra of Denmark in 1863. This public project followed the Enclosure of Gilstead Moor in 1861 in which 10 acres of land, formerly Brown Hill Quarry, was awarded for the use of Bingley's Labouring Poor. Such a disused quarry site and moorland was deemed unsuitable fore allotment cultivation and so, following an appeal, the land was granted for use as Recreation in 1863. Voluntary contributions, in both money and labour, by the local workers, plus an additional eight acres of adjacent land purchased by public subscription, enabled the park to be created, being formally opened on 6th June 1865. In acknowledgement of all this, the Prince of Wales sent trees from Sandringham in 1866 to add to this woodland park. The later registration of the park as of Grade II Historic Interest is thought to be as a result of this royal recognition. In later years, significant structures were added, such as the Drinking Fountain, the Park Lodge, the Round House shelter and the relocated Bingley Market Hall. Band concerts were held in 'The Ariana' - today's Events Area and panoramic views were enjoyed whilst strolling along 'The Terrace' - today's Broadwalk.. Features were continually added, notably from about 50 years ago by park keeper Mr Wilson, particularly the three water features, which are fed by the natural springs of the Brown Hill Wells.